The Michigan Department of Education presents:
Educator Evaluation & Student Growth Collaborative Workshop
This MDE workshop is a collaborative effort with MEA, AFT, MASA, MASB, and MEMSPA
Districts often have more questions than answers when it comes to accurately measuring student growth and appropriately attributing that growth to educators. This workshop will help districts better understand student growth.
This 6 hour workshop is designed for central office staff (superintendents), building administrators (principals), and teacher leaders (district/building leadership teams and union representatives) to collaboratively develop district plans for measuring student growth for educator evaluations. These collaborative teams will develop a framework for measuring student growth for educator evaluations through the implementation of student learning objectives. Attendees will develop district-level planning that require collaboration with multiple stakeholders so teams in attendance should include all the following:
- Central office staff (Decision-maker at central office level representing curriculum and instruction)
- Building principals (preferably one representing each school building)
- Teacher leaders (preferably two from each school building)
Workshop focus will include:
- Guided engagement in the components of a student growth framework
- The formation and organization of district-level Student Learning Objective teams
- Work session focused on the development of assessment inventories.
- Facilitated presentation and interactive activities for defining success criteria and growth targets in schools
Dates and locations (Click on the location to register online):
- September 26, 2017 – Delta Schoolcraft ISD (Escanaba)
- October 3, 2017 – Van Buren ISD (Lawrence)
- October 4, 2017 – MHSAA (East Lansing)
- October 6, 2017 – Kent Career Tech Center (Grand Rapids)
- October 10, 2017 – COPESD (Indian River)
- October 11, 2017 – Saginaw ISD (Saginaw)
- October 12, 2017 – Wayne County Community College (Taylor)
This workshop offers 6 SCECH hours.
Cost: $100 per attendee (includes light breakfast, lunch and workshop resources/materials)
This is the first of a series of three planned workshops. Click here to view the planned agendas for the series.
The Winter workshop will look at Balanced Assessment Systems and the use of feedback cycles. The Spring workshop will cover determining student growth ratings using state assessments and determining educator evaluation end-of-year ratings by combining framework and student growth data. Look for more details to come on these upcoming workshops.
For more information, contact:
Rebekah Emmerling, MA, Ed. S., Educator Evaluation Unit Manager
Office of Educator Talent
Department of Education
517.241.3384 or email at Emmerlingr@michigan.gov