The Michigan Department of Education presents:
Educator Evaluation & Student Growth Collaborative Workshops
This MDE workshop is a collaborative effort with MEA, AFT, MASA, MASB, and MEMSPA
Districts often have more questions than answers when it comes to accurately measuring student growth and appropriately attributing that growth to educators. These workshops will help districts better understand student growth through a progressive series of three full-day workshop sessions. The first workshop series session occurred in October of 2017.
The 6-hour workshops are designed for central office staff (superintendents), building administrators (principals), and teacher leaders (district/building leadership teams and union representatives) to collaboratively develop district plans for measuring student growth for educator evaluations. District teams will collaboratively develop a framework for measuring student growth for educator evaluations through the implementation of student learning objectives. Attendees will develop district-level planning that require collaboration with multiple stakeholders so teams in attendance should include all the following:
- Central office staff (Decision-maker at central office level representing curriculum and instruction)
- Building principals (preferably one representing each school building)
- Teacher leaders (preferably two from each school building)
Workshop focus will include:
- Guided engagement in the components of Student Learning Objectives
- Supported team work time sessions to develop local district policies and practices
- Guidance for use of the MDE SGP Educator Evaluation Calculator Tool for state assessments
- Student growth framework implementation problem-solving and barrier busting
- Integration of student growth with feedback cycles
Spring Session Dates and locations (Click on the location to register online):
- March 19, 2018 – WMU Grand Rapids (Beltline Ave Campus)
- March 20, 2018 – MHSAA (East Lansing)
- March 21, 2018 – Saginaw Valley State University (University Center) — Please note change of date and location (formerly scheduled for March 29 at Saginaw ISD
- March 22, 2018 – COPESD (Indian River)
- March 26, 2018 – Wayne County Community College (Taylor)
- March 27, 2018 – Van Buren ISD (Lawrence)
- March 28, 2018 – MHSAA (East Lansing)
This workshop offers 6 SCECH hours.
Cost: $100 per attendee (includes light breakfast, lunch and workshop resources/materials)
The spring workshop will look at efficient collection and reporting of student growth data, combining district student growth data with state assessment student growth data to determine student growth ratings, and combining student growth and teacher practice data to determine summative educator evaluation ratings.
The sessions listed above are the second and third of a progressive set of three full day sessions. Each session is designed to build upon previous sessions. The first fall session occurred in October of 2017, and teams that did not attend the first fall session may find that they do not have the prerequisite knowledge base to find the winter and spring sessions an effective use of time for their teams. If you are interested in attending a make-up session for the fall session, please contact Rebekah Emmerling at the contact information listed below. Click here to view the planned agendas for the series.
For more information, contact:
Rebekah Emmerling, MA, Ed. S., Educator Evaluation Unit Manager
Office of Educator Talent
Department of Education
517.241.3384 or email at Emmerlingr@michigan.gov