The national conversation about school safety and student protests continues throughout public school communities. During a March 1st webinar sponsored by MASA covering school threats and student protests, MASA executive director Chris Wigent said “We are determined to continue to provide superintendents with tools and resources to help continue to navigate these unique and challenging times for public education.”
To that end, MASA is bringing together experts on March 20 for a daylong conference in Lansing on school safety and student protests. Thrun Law Firm, the Michigan State Police and GMB Architecture & Engineering, will offer timely and helpful support to ensure that school leaders have the information needed to effectively prepare and communicate about these issues in their districts.
Topics covered include:
- Student protests, including lessons learned during the March 14 student walkouts
- Processing and evaluating threats
- School improvements to increase safety and security
- Financing security measures
- Student discipline and alternatives to discipline
- Navigating parent and media inquiries
“We will elaborate on these issues and will talk about school safety,” said Jennifer Starling from Thrun Law Firm. “We will be bringing outside experts who can talk about building structures, police assessments and active shooter issues.”
Details of School Safety & Student Protest Drive-In
- When: March 20, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: Lansing Community College, West Campus, Auditorium, 5708 Cornerstone Drive, Lansing, MI 48917
- Cost: $175 per person