Join MASA for our annual Fall Conference this September. School Administrators from across the state will meet in Traverse City for three days of professional development focused on going from “surviving” to “thriving” in the new school year. Learning sessions will cover topics including district emergency plans, essential instructional practices, delayed learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic, student wellness, and more.
When: September 22-24, 2021
Where: Grand Traverse Resort
*Location/delivery mode subject to change due to COVID-19 pandemic. Registration may be limited due to changing capacity restrictions.
CLICK HERE to book your stay at Grand Traverse Resort
Overflow Hotel Options
- Quality Inn, 1492 US 31 N., Traverse City, MI, 49686. $89 per night.
Click to Reserve or call the hotel directly at (231) 668-7294.
All reservations must be made by September 1, 2021.
- Hampton Inn, 1000 U.S. 31, North, Traverse City, MI 49686. $199 per night.
Click to Reserve or call the hotel directly at (231) 946-8900.
All reservations must be made by August 21, 2021.
*Just Added* Executive Search Career Fair with MASB
Representatives from MASB will be available on Thursday, September 23, 2021, to discuss current and upcoming Superintendent employment opportunities. The team will be set up during the conference at the Governor’s Mezzanine, Grand Traverse Resort & Spa.
You can select an available 30-minute time slot here
Upon doing so, the system will require you to enter your name, cell phone number, and email address.
Bring a current resume and any search-related questions you may have with you to your appointment.
Casual/business casual attire is appropriate – this is YOUR conference!
Please note: For questions or assistance scheduling your appointment, please contact Jay Bennett at firstname.lastname@example.org or (517) 327-5928. On-site questions? Call Jay’s cell phone: (517) 402-6760
Wednesday, Sept. 22
|1 p.m. – 3 p.m.
State of the Association – Dr. Tina Kerr
EDI and Social Justice – Dr. Sarena Shivers & Dr. Brian Davis
MDE Update – Dr. Michael F. Rice
|3 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.
|3:15 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.
|4 p.m. – 6 p.m.
||Partner Showcase & Reception
Thursday, Sept. 23
|7 a.m. – 8 a.m.
||SETSEG Fun Run
|7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
|8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
G.R.I.P.E. – The 5 Reasons People Complain & How to Get Them to Stop – Will Bowen
Hot Topics Facilitated Discussion
|11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Lunch & Learn Sessions
- Amp Up Your District Programming!
- Executive Compensation: How to Navigate the Complexities of Superintendent Compensation
- Tools to Relieve Employee Stress
- Telling and Monitoring Your Data Story for MICIP and Beyond
- Got Mental Health On Your Mind?
- Analytics: How Do I Use All The Pretty Data?
- Bridging the Gap: How Parent Communication is the Key to Supercharging Your District
- Looking Ahead: K-12 HVAC, Power Contingency Planning Offers Flexibility and Peace of Mind
- Finding Your Growth Heroes in EVAAS
- The ABC’s of Filling Teacher Vacancies
- Solar is Not Just for Hippies Anymore – Why Leading Midwestern School Districts are Making the Switch to Renewables
|12:45 p.m. – 2 p.m.
- From Unfinished Learning to Learning Found
- F2F: Unlock the Heart of School Leadership
- Miss Kendra Project
- What is the Michigan Association of Professors of Educational Leadership (MAPEL) and Why Should You Care?
- The State Education Network (SEN)
- Title IX, Year 2: Avoiding Mirrors, Trap Doors, and Tree Snares
- Offering Equitable and Creative Post-Secondary Experiences
- What Are They Thinking? Understanding How Teachers Apply Learning from Professional Development
- Employee Wellness, the Key To Staff Retention
- How Do We Create a Culture of Innovation in Michigan Schools?
- Let’s Get Real: Implementing School-Wide Project-Based Learning
- Fight Back Against Cyber Attacks: Don’t Fall Victim to Cybercriminals
|2 p.m. – 2:15 p.m.
|2:15 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- School Renewal for Transformative Change
- From Development to Implementation: Essential Instructional Practices in Early Mathematics
- Guaranteed Energy Savings Program: The Key to Reallocation of Utility Dollars
- Supporting LGBTQ Students and Employees: Addressing, Investigating, and Eliminating Sex Discrimination
- Authentic Learning and Serving Community
- Designing for a Future of Wellness and Safety
- “$@&% Softball” – Free Speech Rights After Mahoney Area School District v. BL
- Leveraging Student Voice for Comprehensive Recovery
- School Board Governance in Trying Times
|3:30 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.
|3:45 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- OCR’s National Website Accessibility Team (MWAT) Approach to Resolving Website Accessibility Complaints
- Using Social Media to Strategically Promote Your School District by Connecting with Students and the Community
- Future of Learning Council
- Moving “Beyond Horizons”
- Retaining and Supporting Teachers Through Transformational Wellness Coaching
- Your District’s Financial Pie is Only So Big, Find Out Ways to Reallocate Dollars In Order to Attract and Retain Staff
- Aligning Staff PD to the MI Blueprint for Comprehensive Student Recovery
- Assure Your District Policies Support Student Recovery
- Seeking First to Understand, A Process for Engaging in Community Conversations Around Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Stealing Marketing Ideas from the Private Sector
- Honoring Our Community-Based Histories and Perceptions by Intentionally Shifting from a School-Centric to a Community-Centered Authentic Engagement Approach
|5 p.m. – 6 p.m.
||Leaders in Education Networking Reception
|9 p.m. – 10 p.m.
||Mentor Coach Reception
Friday, Sept. 24
|7:30 a.m. – 8:30 a.m.
|8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m.
Legislative Update – Peter Spadafore & Athena Antonis