Central Office Endorsement Program for Aspiring Superintendents & Central Office Administrators
This MDE-approved program gives participants the opportunity to follow two routes to earn the credentials they need to excel and grow on the job:
- A Central Office Endorsement or a Central Office Enhancement on a current Administrator Certificate
- An Administrator Certificate with a Central Office Endorsement
Navigate Leadership focuses on strengthening leadership skills and strategies for school leaders. Tailored for the unique needs of an aspiring superintendent or central office administrator, you will utilize job-embedded opportunities to practice what you learn, as well as experience growth in your practice working with peers. The program curriculum is based on scaffolded learning in four areas:
- Situational leadership
- Values and beliefs
- Strategic action around student learning and achievement.
Participants will engage in learning and skill development during all sessions. Topics include:
- Leadership – How do I lead?
- The role and work of the superintendent and central office leaders
- The impact of values and beliefs on an individual and an organization
- A fact-finding and strategic action planning process to identify system strengths and barriers around student learning and achievement
A new session of Navigate Leadership will kick off in January 2018
With so much interest in this phenomenal program, MASA is adding an additional session that will begin in January 2018. Sessions will be held on:
- January 17-18: Grand Ledge Public Schools, Board of Education Building, Administration Board Room, 220 Lamson Street, Grand Ledge, MI 48837
- March 1-2: MHSAA Building, 1661 Ramblewood Drive, East Lansing, MI 48823
- May 23-24: Michigan Education Leadership Group Building, 1001 Centennial Way, Lansing, MI 48917
- June 21-22: MHSAA Building, 1661 Ramblewood Drive, East Lansing, MI 48823
- Two additional dates will be scheduled for August or September
2018-19 Horizon Leadership Year 2
- To be eligible to take Year 2, you must have completed Year 1 of Navigate Leadership or Sustain Excellence.
- Upcoming dates and locations to be determined.
- Registration will open soon. Fill out this interest form to stay connected.
2017-18 Navigate Leadership Year 1
The 2017-18 Navigate Leadership Year 1 session is currently underway. The schedule for all sessions is below; each day runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- September 27-28, 2017: MHSAA Building, 1661 Ramblewood Drive, East Lansing, MI 48823 (a make-up session for these two days will be scheduled)
- October 19-20, 2017: MHSAA Building, 1661 Ramblewood Drive, East Lansing, MI 48823
- November 1-2, 2017: MHSAA Building, 1661 Ramblewood Drive, East Lansing, MI 48823
- February 27-28, 2018: MHSAA Building, 1661 Ramblewood Drive, East Lansing, MI 48823
- May 8-9, 2018: Michigan Education Leadership Group Building, 1001 Centennial Way, Lansing, MI 48917
About Navigate Leadership
- 1 year, with 10 full days (total of 60 hours) of learning
- SCECHs are available
- You must have a letter of recommendation from your superintendent to be admitted to the program. Please submit your letter to Cindy Ruble at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, contact Cindy Ruble at email@example.com or call (517) 327-5910.
Completing Year 1 earns attendees a Central Office Enhancement.
- MASA member: $2,000
- Non-member: $2,300
Completing Year 1 and Year 2 earns attendees an Administrator Certificate with a Central office Endorsement or a Central Office Endorsement on a current Administrator Certificate.
- MASA member with a current Administrator Certificate: $3,000
- MASA member without an Administrator Certificate: $4,000
- Non-member with a current Administrator Certificate: $3,300
- Non-member without an Administrator Certificate: $4,300
“Very well organized learning sessions exposed aspiring superintendents to multiple perspectives and approaches towards becoming a highly effective superintendent. This was a very comprehensive supes preparation program, which served to be valuable in my pursuit to become a superintendent.”
~ Daniel Gilbertson, new superintendent of Croswell-Lexington Community Schools